Our community cinema is part of Haringey Fixers – a non-profit organisation that is governed and run by our members. We are community-led. Only our unpaid volunteers can vote.
The Society/Community Cinema shall be known as Haringey Fixers Social Cinema, referred to herein as the ’Social Cinema’.
The objects of The Social Cinema are:
- To advance the education of the public in the knowledge, understanding and appreciation of film (and allied visual techniques).
- To encourage interest in film as an art form and as a medium for public education and for the distribution of information, by means of the exhibition of films of artistic, cultural or scientific character.
- To promote the study and appreciation of films by such means as lectures, discussions and exhibitions.
- Such lectures, discussions and exhibitions will be open to the public, unless contractual requirements restrict to members only.
- Open to anyone over the age of eighteen who has first joined Haringey Fixers.
- Entitles the holder to one vote at the Annual or other General meetings.
- The business of the Social Cinema shall be managed by a Committee of at least three members. The Committee shall consist of a Chair, a Treasurer, a Secretary and such other Officers as may, from time to time, be appointed.
- The Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting and hold office until their successors are elected at the next AGM (or after 3 years).
- The quorum for a Committee meeting shall be three and there shall be at least two such meetings in a year.
- The Social Cinema shall hold a General Meeting at least once a year. A Special General Meeting may be called at any time by the Committee or upon written request being made of the Committee signed by at least one quarter of members.
- The Social Cinema shall be non-political, i.e. it shall not espouse the cause of any political party.
- The Social Cinema shall not be run for the private profit of a Member or Members. Any balance at the end of the year shall be carried over and devoted to the Objects of the Social Cinema.
- No Members or Committee Members shall receive payment directly or indirectly for their services or for anything other than legitimate expenses incurred in working for the Social Cinema .
- Accounts will be produced annually and inspected by an independent person.
- The Social Cinema shall not be wound up except by a resolution of 75%of those present at a Special General Meeting called for that purpose. In the event of a winding up, the remaining funds of The Social Cinema shall not be distributed among the Members but be passed to Haringey Fixers or a non-profit making organisation or organisations with objects similar to those of the Social Cinema. Such organisations shall be chosen by the Committee in consultation with Haringey Fixers or Cinema For All or a similar organisation.
5. Alteration of Rules
No alteration of rules shall be made except by a resolution of two thirds of those present at a General Meeting. No amendment shall be made which would cause the Social Cinema to cease to be a not-for-profit organisation.
Version 1.0 24/2/2023